Monday, October 6, 2014

Pleasantly Surprised or Deeply Disappointed?



What book or story have you read that, at first glance, you didn't think you would enjoy but ended up pleasantly surprised?

What about a book or story that you thought you would like and it sucked?

Reading is a very personal experience. What one person takes away from a book may not be what you experience. I can think of numerous books that I loved and recommended to friends and family thinking they would love them too, only to find out that they didn't like them at all. In contrast, the same emotion that someone else experiences with a book that they recommend may not resonate the same for me. For instance, I like J.K. Rowling, and I find it shocking that other people do not like her work.

That's okay. I'm sure J.K. Rowling isn't concerned about it, and I'm sure she has made peace with the fact that not everyone will like her books.

We all have different perspectives, different likes and dislikes, and enjoy different writing styles.
Think of it this way: Not everyone enjoys eating pie. Fortunately, there are many other desserts in this world to choose from. Try to remember this when you are writing and muddling through your 25th draft and hoping that you can please everyone in the entire world with your book.

It's not going to happen.

There will be people in this world who think your work stinks. My advice to you is: Don't worry about those people; you didn't write for them anyway.

Keep on writing! 

No comments: